1999-04 Bilstein HD series Dampers, IRS Cobra, grooved shocks
1999-04 Cobra, Bilstein HD series damper package for IRS-equipped Mustang, includes 2 Bilstein HD struts and 2 Bilstein HD shocks, with integral progressive bumpstops.
If you do not already have, or purchase now, an MM rear coil-over conversion kit, you must add urethane shock eye bushings MMSM-105 to install the grooved rear shocks in this package.
Included in this kit’s price is a charge for grooving the rear shocks for a coil-over conversion. You can get a $40 discount if:
- You purchase a rear coil over kit along with this package.
- In the past you purchased a rear coil-over kit directly from us.
- You purchase a rear coil over kit directly from us at a later time.
If any of these situations apply, please note it in the “special instructions” field at checkout. We will confirm the situation and waive the grooving charge when we process your order.
- Struts are suitable for both stock-location springs and coil-over conversions. See chart below for spring recommendations.
- Rear shocks are suitable for a coil-over conversion, as a groove is machined into the rear shock body.
- Includes V36-4138-H5 front struts
- Includes GBE5-2959-H0 rear shocks
For more details and technical information, scroll down.
|Heavy Duty (HD) Bilstein Spring Recommendations|
|Conventional Spring Sets||MM Road & Track
H&R Super Sport
|Coil-Over Spring Rates|
|Front Springs||250 – 325 lb/in|
|IRS Rear Springs||475 – 525 lb/in|
- Firm, yet good ride quality, as is expected of a performance car
- Bilstein struts and shocks are made with patented mono-tube technology
- Inverted strut design has very large strut shaft bushings for greater resistance to deflection from cornering loads, and protection of the oil seal
- High nitrogen gas pressure prevents oil foaming and resultant fading
- Monotube design has better heat dissipation than twin-tube dampers, keeps the oil cooler, and decreases heat-induced damper fade
- Velocity-sensitive valving improves ride quality
- Each Bilstein strut and shock is tested on a shock dyno
- The Bilstein rear IRS shocks are grooved for coil-over conversions, and include an integral, progressive bump stop
- Bilstein struts and shocks include dustcovers
- MM Sport series and MM Race series dampers are better suited for more aggressive spring rates.
Heavy Duty (HD) Bilsteins work very well in street applications with a variety of both conventional springs and coil-over conversions. They are designed to deliver the best possible ride quality coupled with impressive street performance. The HD series dampers were not designed for use with overly aggressive spring rates, particularly in coil-over conversions. For dampers more suited to aggressive spring rates, see the MM Sport series and MM Race series dampers.
These HD series rear shocks have a groove machined in the shock housing to accept the MM rear coil-over conversion kit.
While they are non-adjustable, Bilstein’s unique deflective-disc valve design instantaneously self-adjusts to changing road surfaces. Their performance does not degrade with age, usage, or heat, requiring no compensating manual adjustments as with other brands. Bilstein uses a patented mono-tube design that allows for a larger piston size than is possible with a twin-tube damper. The mono-tube design provides better heat dissipation to keep the damper’s oil cooler, and decreases heat-induced damper fade. High-pressure nitrogen gas prevents oil foaming and fading. The unique inverted design of the Bilstein strut allows for very large strut shaft bushings, which are less prone to deflection. The inverted strut design also keeps the oil seal protected from the elements. Every Bilstein damper is tested on a shock dyno before leaving the factory to ensure quality.
All Bilstein struts and shocks include dustcovers suitable for use with conventional springs. Front coil-over applications require unique smaller dustcovers that are included with MM front coil-over conversion kits, and are also available separately.